Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Your fridge and You!

With the great nights we are enjoying I have this nagging voice in my head about what is a head. Yep. It'll get warm! and warmer. With the thought in mind I am always on the look out for ways to cook up some grub that doesn't heat up the entire.

Enter cooking with your fridge. Huh... this idea was popular back when an icebox no longer needed ice delivered, but would cool food on it's own. Magic, no convenient yes... time saver.... yes! Back in the day you would have likely received a Refrigerator cookbook with your new fridge. There were also plenty of pamphlets for sale to help you figure the ways a newfangled contraption could benefit you. Not that I think anyone would argue now.

Growing up eating items cooked in the fridge was a great thing for a latchkey kid, but what about a more experienced platte. I hopew to be sharing dishes I have made, though since it's beautiful out I have had no time to cook. Luckily many of those Fridge Cookbooks have pic of the amazing items you can make.

Today I bring you: Your Electric Refrigerator and KNOX Sparkling Gelatine from 1953. Today we look at the Asparagus Bavarian Salad. YUM![caption id="attachment_505" align="alignright" width="172" caption="Knox Gelatine brochure Copyright 1953 "][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_506" align="alignleft" width="238" caption="Asparagus Bavarian Salad"][/caption]

Just the though of glistening whipped cream, asparagus, pimentos and gelatine (Knox of course) has my mouth watering. Especially when served as suggested with mayonnaise or French dressing.

Bon Appetite my Retro Friends
[caption id="attachment_508" align="aligncenter" width="600" caption="Recipe for Asparagus Bavarian Salad"][/caption]

1 comment:

  1. I have a recipe booklet with the same pictures, but it has a copyright date of 1929.

    ReplyDelete